Re: Contests are essential

Roy Taylor wrote "Adrian, the obvious answer to that is, no they aren't."
referring to the fact that he seems to think that the money-paying public,
who are our avid fans and supporters, are not as important as contests.

I take great objection to the thought that an audience who are paying good
money for a 'service' and who often come out in all weathers to support
brass bands are less important than anything. I doubt if there is a band
anywhere that doesn't rely on concerts for a large chunk of its income.
Their loyalty is probably, in many cases, the only thing that keeps bands
going when the contest results take a nose-dive - an all too regular
occurrence.

Old Hall Brass, who I play for, always rehearse their concerts to give full
value for money, full entertainment value as well as musical. It's why I
stay with them. The band puts as much effort into the concert stage as it
dies into the contest. While contests can have a good effect on morale, and
have a benefit in helping to improve musical standards by giving bands a
target to aim for, that effect is often transitory and in any case is limit
to a small part of the banding year.

Let's not forget where the money and support comes from ion the first place.