The Joy Of Contests

One of the joys of my life since I was a thirteen years old kid fifty seven
years ago was to attend a band contest. At that time it was Belle Vue,
Manchester, where you could pick up a score of the test piece on the way
in, then listen to over twenty bands play the same piece while following it
with the score. This, to me, was one of the very best aspects of banding.
Each performance was unique. Even though I would never have heard the test
piece prior to the day, it would quickly become familiar, and I would soon
have my favourite little parts that I would look forward to with each
peformance. Then I would do my own judging, and now and again would pick
the winner. I would go home feeling so wonderfully full and satisfied.

I would suggest that at contests the majority of people in the audience are
like me, who don't actually play in brass bands, but who love the wonderful
sound and who actually enjoy the competition. Speaking for myself and those
of a like mind, it would be a shame if contesting would ever be discontinued.

Alas, I now live in a part of Canada where brass bands are vitually unheard
of, so it is many years since I have had the pleasure of attending a contest.

John Hughes