Re: Rehearsal (at the contest venue)

We always rehearse in a different hall the night before a contest.  Usually
a school hall.  Obviously it's not going to replicate the actual venue, but
it gives the band a chance to hear the piece played in a different place.
Then on the day of the contest we rehearse somewhere else.  A band really
ought to be able to cope with differences without making a big thing of it.
I suppose that gaining some familiarity with the actual venue is bound to
help, but if the band is no good it's still not going to win.  Making a big
deal of compensating for differences in acoustics is an interference
anyway - in most cases you'd be better off doing what you normally do and
doing it as well as you can.

At Nottingham you feel as if you are playing into a laundry basket, but the
sound actually isn't that bad from the listener's perspective - if you spend
your performance trying to compensate for the dirty socks in your bell you
could do that to the exclusion of everything else and still not succeed.
You're better off just getting on with it!

As for legislating against it... er, no...

By the way, what's it like at Burton Town Hall?!  The arrangements so far
look promising - very professional - especially the fact we will be
rehearsing in a brewery!

Good luck to everyone next week anyway - see you in the bar afterwards...

Jud (Dipso Flugel)