Re: Disappointments/contests.

Dear Tom.   I am very sorry to have misled you.   My apologies.   My "tricky
one" was just to make the point that Salvation Army brass bands...who play
wonderful music....brilliantly....do not, in fact, do any contesting !   In
my daft way I was, I suppose trying to make the point that it is not always
necessary to compete to produce beautiful sounds.  There will I am sure
always be that competitive spirit in bands....and I too have been thrilled
by the sounds of our great bands playing in the British Open at Belle Vue,
Manchester many many  years ago....   I just feel that contesting might be
overtaking concert work to a certain extent.....which is a pity as bands
even now could, I believe, be very popular once again.   Personally,
whatever the audience, I have always got more of a kick (or "high") from
enthusiastic applause.....than the remarks of an adjudicator.   My idea
would be for a band to develop small groups ...within the band...with the
music now available, so that say only eight players would be needed for some
engagements...or even a quartet to play for say a garden fete.   And older
players (maybe retired) could play for retirement homes, visit schools, etc.
i.e. good public relations.    Best wishes.  David Williams.