Vintage instrument thoughts (with sound clips!).

I am half way through restoring a Conn cornet manufactured in 1907. The way
it plays (already!!!) is thought provoking.

I miss the mobile slides that modern instruments universally have. Other
than that it is not "better" or "worse" than the very best present day
cornets...just different.

It doesn't have the weight of sound demanded by some present situations. It
doesn't have the flugel-like qualities of some modern cornets, but it does
have other beautiful qualities that the modern instruments don't have. I
can't stop playing turn of the Century solos on it.
It is certainly "Showers of Gold" rather than showers of mush!

Click on these excerpts that I have recorded to hear what I mean (I hope the
duff computer mike does it justice!):

http://freespace.virgin.net/andy.callard/cornet2.rm
http://freespace.virgin.net/andy.callard/cornet3.rm
http://freespace.virgin.net/andy.callard/cornet4.rm
http://freespace.virgin.net/andy.callard/cornet5.rm

You will need real player to hear the clips. Free version downloadable from
http://www.real.com

What would a band of first-class present-day players sound like playing turn
of the century repertoire on the very best historic instruments available?
It has been done in the orchestral field and has generated lots of public
interest.