Re: unusual rehearsal/performance times

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Gerry Whitlow wrote:

> > Any else had weird or unusual rehearsal/performance times they would like
> > share with the list?
>
> I once ended up flying back from Lagos overnight, then drove home , then to
> the bandroom for a coach trip to Grays contest and finally ended up playing
> at 4 in the afternoon. As I played the sop solo at the end of the second
> movement of Pageantry all eyes seemed to be on me waiting for a disaster.
>  It went like a dream as I was totally spaced out having been up for over 30
> Hours without any sleep!!

I think I can top this:) The summer before last I went inter-railing with
some maths friends. In the middle I had to meet up with my County Youth
Orchestra in Karlovy Vary in the Czech Republic on a Sunday night as they
arrived at the hotel. Friday night's sleep I missed because we were on an
overnight train from Munich to Vienna. Saturday night's sleep was
restricted to 5 hours because the _idiot_ in the bunk below me in the
hostel set his alarm for 4 a.m. . Then I missed the train that would have
got me to Prague in time for the connection to Karlovy Vary. The next
train to Prague was unfeasibly slow, and got me there at 9 p.m. . Dashed
across the centre of Prague to the international railway information
office (at which the woman didn't speak English, German or French!) to
eventually find out that I could catch the last train that night, leaving
at midnight, changing at 2.30, and finally arriving at 4 in the morning,
which I duly did to find the station inhabited by various junkies and
random undesirables, and not a taxi in sight. I hailed the first one to
make an appearance (at about 6.30), getting me to the hotel as everyone
was just leaving for the day. Spent the day sightseeing in the town, then
rehearsing in the stuffiest hall in the world, then finally took the stage
at about 8 p.m., after 40 solid hours awake, and 5 hours sleep in the
previous 84. The final piece was the Mahler 1st symphony - which starts
with 400 bars rest:( (and ends with a trombone solo) I finally got back to
the hotel and bed about 2 o'clock, and slept through the rest of the
orchestra demolishing the hotel.

Dave Taylor