Re: An apology (was Rehearsal) - And now something else to ponder!

----- Original Message -----
From: <BigChap27@xxxxxxx>
To: <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2000 8:44 PM
Subject: An apology (was Rehearsal)

> Having got a few thoughts off my chest earlier today on this thread, it now
> appears that I may have misrepresented the views of my good friend Mr Randle.
> I thought that he was offering the views of the annual meeting of the
> Sovereign Brass Midlands Area Paranoia subcommittee. I didn't realise then
> that it is, in fact, his band that is rehearsing at the venue on the eve of
> the contest (nice journey on a Friday night chaps).
> No offence was intended by my original comments and I now see your remarks,
> Colin, in a whole new light.
>

> Big Chap
> Bedrock Brass

Well well well - I thought this 'thought provoker' might bring about a healthy
debate, and I notice with great interest the responses given by fellow listees,
largely very constructive comments.  However - having sat here and read my great
mate The Big Chap's response several times I am afraid that at last his well
known sense of black humour has finally baffled me.  With great humility I have
to admit that I do not really understand what point he is trying to make -
though no doubt we will get together at Burton On Trent and give the whole issue
a real good working over.

For my part I can only say this - yes my band will be rehearsing at the contest
venue, and in answer to another friend Ian Perry who asked "is it against the
rules" I can only say that as far as I know it certainly isn't.

I've been in banding long enough to know that Jeremy Wise's comments are only
too true.  However good a band is in the bandroom, it means nothing when you
walk out on the stage and you have to do it for real.  Personally, I'm not so
much interested in the acoustic set up - but I will be glad to have a look at
the place, get wound up, soak up the atmos in anticipation.  Will it make me or
my band perform any better - I doubt it, my colleague Tim will give you his own
inimitable 'pitch report' in due course!

And now - something else that may provoke a few interesting responses.

When a brass band takes the stage at a contest, traditionally they remain silent
till the test piece starts.  Why?  Would it not be a good idea to take the stage
and have a 60 second 'knock up' to tootle, blast-away, test a few high-ones, and
then the conductor would blow a whistle to let the adjudicator know when he is
ready to start!!  Good griefsky - radical or what!

Can I wish all competing bands at Burton, and elsewhere, the very best of luck,
especially my home town band Bedworth Brass.

Colin Randle.