Re: Contests are essential - without the shouting

RMiezitis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I think that people like Henze have been involved only because of the great
> influx of European bands in the last couple of decades.

Well, no. It was actually because he was persuaded by Elgar Howarth.

> (Dare I say because of the introduction of the European Championship? - hee
> hee)

No, because Henze's "Ragtimes & Habaneras" is not a test-piece, and never has
been. It's just a major original work for Brass.

> I you look at the bands (almost purely military and marching) that you see
> in old news reels from Germany and Russia, I don't think I would be inspired
> to write for them.

Why not? Prokofiev "lowered himself" to do so.

> I also feel that contests help keep the organisational committees in place.
> Now some would say that if they disappeared, it wouldn't be a bad thing.
> However we must have the committees to organise the larger scale things
> that help keep the community of banding together.

Just like we need them to keep the community of "Orchestra-ing" together.

> It might be fine in England where you can get ten bands in a city and a
> couple of colleges with courses (luxury! - in a Monty Python welsh accent),

Yorkshire...

> but I can't imagine anything exciting coming out of the BB movement in
> Australia if competitions were removed.
> We wouldn't even get to see Monkey, I would bet.

Monkey hates contesting....

Cheers, Rolf

Adrian Raven - The Devil's Advocate