And now something else to ponder!

	And now - something else that may provoke a few interesting

	When a brass band takes the stage at a contest, traditionally they
remain silent
	till the test piece starts.  Why?  Would it not be a good idea to
take the stage
	and have a 60 second 'knock up' to tootle, blast-away, test a few
high-ones, and
	then the conductor would blow a whistle to let the adjudicator know
when he is
	ready to start!!  Good griefsky - radical or what!

	Colin Randle.

	Colin

	This suggestion makes so much sense and it's not the first time I've
heard it.  Anyone who's been to an orchestra concert recently know that it's
common practise to fine tune on stage before the start

	When bands take that brave step (I'm not aware of any that have)
then we might be able to progress to your suggestion, which would mean
changing the format of a contest - horror of horrors!!

	As demonstrated in recent threads, change isn't something brass
bands are adept at embracing.

	The only problem would be ensuring that this tune up/warm up would
not add to the overall duration of the performance (or we'd have even
shorter pieces of music!).  However, seeing as the brass players are often
sitting doing nothing for ages whilst the slow coach -:) percussionists set
up, this shouldn't be difficult!

	David Cooper