Re: Tuning slides

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, William Dee wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm no musical genius, but if you're not supposed to move the slides, why are
> they there? I've heard this arguement applied to all brass band instruments, and
> I don't completely agree. I do agree your ear is your best guide, but what about
> young players whose "ear" is still developing?
>
> William.
>
> PS Does this also apply to trombone players?:o)

If you can hit a note perfectly in tune, without bending it at all, then
it will sound better and be less likely to split. On valved instruments
some bending is unavoidable, as different harmonics have different
tunings, but this should be minimised by tuning the valves. On trombone
there's no need to bend at all, as you can simply move the slide slightly
in or out. For example:- C# (Bb treble clef in the staff) in 4th position
is a couple of millimetres further in than the A in the same position.

Dave Taylor