What a great night!

Hi all,

I've just got back from a great rehearsal for our area test piece - The
Haslemere Suite.

We have had a guest conductor for the evening, Mr Alan Lawton (who's also
taking Wingates to their area finals who I believe are championship section)

Alan has been to see us a few times, and always seems to bring out the best
in players and then just that little bit more.

Normally we are very laid back with occasional banter between players, but
last night everyone sat upright and concentrated really hard.  our enthusiasm
shone through even if some of our players talent didn't.

We're hoping to see Alan again before the areas. it's just a shame he doesn't
live nearer!

I really appreciate it when people who are obviously talented give their time
to help us lower section bands.

Someone once said that fourth and third section players should be nurtured as
they are the championship players of tomorrow - here's hoping.

But then again Sir Thomas Beecham said that brass bands are all very well in
their place - outdoors and several miles away - charming eh!!

Has anyone else on the list ever met Alan or been conducted by him? If you
have you are extremely lucky. He is a very down to earth man, with an uncanny
knack of explaining exactly what he wants.

Anyone on the list going to Northern Areas at Darlington on 18/19 March, if
so do say hello - we're in the fourth section

Jacque Harrison
Solo horn
Kirkby Lonsdale Brass Band