RE:Tuning Slides

Dear List,

Perhaps I've been extraordinarily lucky, but in my years of banding I've
very rarely been out of tune, or been unfortunate enough to have an
instrument that was so badly out of tune with itself that it needed more
than minimal adjustment of tuning slides.

Perhaps I erred in making such a sweeping generalisation, but I took it as
read that players would understand that once you have tested and if
necessary corrected an instrument's tuning, (adjusting slides to make sure
the valves - singly and in combination - are in tune with each other and
with the open tube there should rarely be an occasion to change the slide
positions again.

The slides are not actually tuning slides, though that it what we call them.
In the days before water keys on slides, they were slides to allow you to
let the water out. The compensating valve system is a compromise at best -
and always has been - and initially you should check how good a compromise.

It's only in orchestras or other bands with non brass instruments that
regular changes in pitch occur, (don't you love tuning to the oboe?), or in
extremes of temperature that any fiddling should have to be done - not on a
regular basis, every rehearsal, every day, whatever.

Basses are such large instruments that they can be flexibly tuned to the
rest of the band with a minimum of fuss and a good ear.

As for youngsters, I think it's a bad idea to lead them into false reliance
on tuning slides as the be all and end all of tuning. That is what often
happens.

Unless you regularly play with orchestras/dance bands, Phil, as well as your
own brass band, you should take your bass back if it needs to keep being
re-tuned - or at least take more water in your beer :).

Regards,

Mike