Re: RE:Tuning Slides

MIke Lyons wrote :

>Unless you regularly play with orchestras/dance bands, Phil, as well as
your
>own brass band, you should take your bass back if it needs to keep being
>re-tuned - or at least take more water in your beer :).
>
>Regards,
>
>Mike

Mike, maybe that's the problem.
Seriously though, if you came to one of our rehearsals you would need to
retune your bass, or else lip each note up as we tend to play on the bright
side (as I believe do Dyke) whilst many other bands pull out their main
slides to play 'darker'.  It's only a small adjustment but it really can
make you feel uncomfortable if you don't adjust.  And of course, once you've
moved you main slide you then have to fine tune all the others !
A quick story ('cos I'm at work and am due in a mtg in 10 mins) about
tuning.
I joined Fodens (then Britannia) on BBb 'cos it was the best band I could
get any seat in after the demise of Desford.  After a couple of months we
bought 2 new BBb basses and whilst they were in tune with each other we
couldn't tune with the EEb's.  Thom Weis decided to have a tune up with an
electronic tuner and whilst his Yamaha  was perfectly in tune (after slide
adjustments) each note on the Bessons (EEb and BBb) was wildly out; sharp or
flat; but in tune with each other.
We now play 2 EEb Courtois' and 2 BBb Bessons.  We're still out of tune with
each other if playing against a tuner (and if we push all the slides in it's
shocking !) but we don't sound too bad as a blend.
My point is that all instruments have notes that are sharper or flatter than
others, providing all instruments are tuned the same you won't have a
problem.  But is someone comes along and say's "I'm in tune and will not
move slides" then the problems start.

Phil.
EEb bass (playing top C's on 1st valve)
Fodens.