Re: Area Rehearsal

I know i am only going to open up a huge big can of worms that has probably
been opened many times before,
but if you are going to start talking about fair and unfair advantages, what
about all the bands who pay professional players?? These players may only be
at the band on a few occasions throughout the year but yet some of them get
silly money for these few appearances.
AS we are supposed to be an 'amateur' association and most of us do it for
the love of it, where is the fairness in that???

Although, i am sure that if every band in the country had the finances to
pay a top rate player to help ensure qualification for the big contests, we
would probably all do it without too much of a thought.

So along the same line, if we all had the opportunity to rehearse in the
contest venue before hand, would we not all take that chance???
I am not sure about the other regional contest venues, but up here in
Scotland we have been alternating between two different venues, and this
year, it has been moved to Troon. My band are relatively close by, so should
we not take the chance of rehearsing here while we can before the Scottish
is moved to the other side of the country again???

I think all is fair in love and banding, and drinking for that matter ;-)
and given the chance we would all want the best for our individual bands on
the day of the contest, and if that means hiring professional players or
rehearsing in the contest venue where possible, it should be done.

Hope i haven't drivelled too much rubbish or trodden on too many peoples
toes...just the humble thoughts of a 1st horn player (who happens to stay
within a mile of the contest venue and can, therefore, stagger home with
great ease after the contest!!!!)

Regards
Jane
1st Horn