Tuning slides?

Howdy!
On the subject of tuning, let me start by saying that i am a professional
piano tuner and as you will all understand, tuning and playing within a band
that has trouble with its tuning is a pain in the nether regions.
    The tuning slides on brass instruments are a basic way of tuning the
instrument, the other problem with tuning is the temperature of the brass.  I
play the trombone (pause for laughter)  I think out of all the brass
instruments in the band the trom must be the easiest to tune with the options
that it has.  Not only do you have the usual main tuning slide that all
instruments have, you also have the slide itself and apart from all the notes
in the 1st/top position, all the others you can adjust flat or sharp.  The
you can adjust the tuning with the lips, again same as all other instruments
so the trom player has three way to tune in.  The best way i have found to
get my instrument in tune is to start by tuning middle C,  so when you play
that note you can raise the pitch and lower the pitch by equal amounts by
using the lips only.  The main problem with tuning pianos is the harmonics,
as you go hirer the harmonics within that note get flatter.  The opposite
happens when you play lower, the harmonics within that note get sharper.  The
same happens to all instruments, brass, woodwind or strings.  This is what
makes tuning so hard because as we all play our instruments, we should
compensate for he harmonics by playing sharper in the higher notes and
flatter in the lower notes.  BUT!!!!! most people will agree that practise is
what its all about & Having enough of the same bums on seats at rehearsals is
the only way to tune in together and to play in tune.
    Best of luck  ROB