Chewing: (was: And now something else to ponder!)

-----Original Message-----
From: lawrence eccleston <tubaman63@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 04 March 2000 14:01
Subject: RE: And now something else to ponder!

>At least Perc players can chew gum or suck on a boiled
>sweet in you dry up on stage not like the poor blowers
>who DO suffer with that problem sometimes.Think on!!
>all you skin bashers out there in Brass Band Land.:-)

By coincidence my copy of BBW arrived this morning, which included the
following letter which I reproduce in its entirety and without comment:

"CHEWING ON STAGE CRITICISED

At a recent entertainments contest at the Pavilion Gardens, Buxton, the
entertainment adjudicator put her finger on a problem that has been sticking
in my craw for a year or two now; the growing habit of players chewing gum,
or some such thing, on stage during a performance.

The adjudicator at Buxton  was a non-banding personality who has spent a
lifetime as a professional singer performing in the major venues of Europe
and she gave us a valuable insight into how outsiders view the brass band.
Above all, I remember, she rounded soundly on the percussionist of a band
who she noticed  chewed throughout his band's entire programme.  She docked
a significant number of points for the constant irritation.  It is a habit
that I have noticed even among some of the high profile players in top
bands - not only does it spoil the presentation of their band but it is not
good manners.

Disgusted
Tytherington, Cheshire (name and address supplied)"

Alec