YorkshireArea/National Finals

Oughtibridge Band has qualified for the Albert Hall National Finals from the=

Yorkshire 4th Section Area  Contest, and also will be promoted to the 3rd
Section - the Band is fuller than it has been for quite a while, and this ha=
had its effect. However like all Bands, I think, we have the usual turnover
problems =E2=80=94 for example  University students can never be sure where
they are
(sic) when courses are finishing, so we still keep looking for extra players=

=E2=80=94 and, of course, use Nigel's Vacancy List.

That was Saturday.
Sunday, and we hear that Stocksbridge Band have won the Yorkshire Area 1st
Section - this means that the two Bands, 2 miles apart on the outskirts of
Sheffield, will be at the Finals on the same day. A cornet player in our ban=
and her percussionist son in the other.  Close encounters or what.

AND you won't believe this (or maybe you will) but Oughtibridge Band was the=

last band on stage (drawn last) at the Finals at the Albert Hall in the last=

year they were held there  (1985), so if we are drawn first  we will be the
first band back!

We  are convinced our superb "Hoi" in the Haslemere Suite clinched it for us=

at the Area! Our MD had  said at rehearsals that we were in too low a
register and too quiet, so we needed to improve it..........some of us neede=
to higher our voices for it! and then sort out its dynamic. We then had the
problem of pronouncing the aitch ........it's just not natural 'round 'ere.

It had already been suggested that we apply a local interpretation and shout=

" 'ey up ", but the cornet player from Somerset refused on principle.

Well we ended-up with a version which incorporated such a bloodcurdling
scream from Eflat Bass in my right ear (Bass Trombone), that I missed my nex=
entry through shock.

O what fun