Re: RUMOURS

>There is a story I heard of Philip Sparkes a few years ago, conducting a
>band (probably Hillingdon) on one of his own work's.

>In true contesting style, apparently the adjudicator wrote, "Not what the
>composer would have wanted."

>Can anyone verify this?

Yes, it happened on more than one occasion.
One that springs to mind was the Sop at the beginning of Partita at the
London Areas 94. Phil asked for it to be smooth and legato because that was
what he had intended, and liked it to be. However the part was marked
detached or
something like that and we were snagged by the adjudicator saying why does
the sop play legato?
I had mentioned this before but that's how he wanted it, and he's the
boss..!!

We still came 4th, our highest ever, so perhaps there is an advantage being
conducted by the composer before (or even during) a contest.
The only problem was that the hall was always full when we played......not
good for the nerves..

Gerry

www.denham-hendon-brass.org.uk       (used to be called Hillingdon)