Re: Trombone slides?

Hello Rob:

In a message dated Sat, 4 Mar 2000  2:51:40 AM Eastern Standard Time, TheAcrobat8@xxxxxxx writes:

> spring which allowed you to sharpen the note just that bit extra.  WHY!!!!!
> have they stopped putting the spring into the slide on new troms?

I've asked several UMI folks about this and they
responded that customers were complaining that they
didn't care for the springs because they were not used
to them.  If you read between the lines this may imply
that they did away with them because Bach and Edwards
instruments are not supplied that way.  Anyways, you can
have springs installed in your slide by a competent
repariman.  He just has to remove the bumper and install
the spring in its place.  My Conn, King and Benge slides
all have springs in them.  The Generation II Conn
trombones also have a completely different trigger on
them which UMI did because of customer complaints on the
old design, but I much prefer the old design.  Different
strokes I guess...  But I think UMI should have retained
the things that made their designs different rather than
making them more like competing models, but obviously, I
know nothing about marketing...

Regards,  John Fisher, CVBB