Good-Bye

For nearly 12 months I have read all the listings with great interest and
some (the entertaining ones) with much enjoyiment.    But, sadly, I realise
that older bands' "persons" such as myself must be completely out of touch
with the present band "movement".    Reading the e.mails of the past few
days it is apparent that contesting rivalry has become the dominant aspect
of the banding "movement" of this country.    No-one appears to realise that
most folk could'nt give a toss about band contests....which is why newpapers
and broadcasting companies over the years are ignoring the band "movement".
Over the past few months' there has hardly been any mention of concert work
or doing anything for "charity"...in return for the thousands (maybe
millions) of pounds some bands have received from the state lottery.    A
few days' ago I mentioned that a pal and I had raised about 260 for the
Mozambique flood disaster hoping that some bands would say...."Hey that,s a
good idea, let's do something as well"    But all I have seen is about the
week-end contests...the bar, etc.,... is the adjudicator to be trusted,and
rumours.  Sorry...but I think the banding "movement" in this country has
become too self-indulgent...and in some cases very greedy.
Thanks to some who have been of help and encouragement.   Cheers.
David Williams.