David vs Goliath

Some 6 years ago I left a brass band organisation that had ran up debts into
the tens of thousands of pounds trying to keep ahead of the rest of the
game. It was a decision I couldnt take lightly as the quality of music we
were achieving was the best I had been involved in. However, I realised it
was corrupt and against all the morals I had been bought up with: fairness,
honesty and the spirit of competition. It is a decision I have never
regretted.

However, I was approached 18 months ago by a village band, admittedly not an
ordinary village band (it has in my humble and honest opinion 3 of the best
players I have ever heard on their given instruments, true musicians). The
band is not sponsored, has a 100-year history and has to perform regularly
just to make ends meet. This is the way we like it, we have nearly full
rehearsals every week and a band morale to rival anybodys. I saw the band
was putting together a very impressive line up of like-minded individuals,
all of who give their services for the enjoyment of making quality music and
not money. We had an incredibly successful year, ending with promotion to
the Championship section.

THIS IS WHERE OUR PROBLEMS BEGAN.

We have just competed at the Area and I am disappointed and dismayed to find
what we have competed against. We have competed against paid professionals
from the Academy of music and players flown in from Champion bands abroad !

I DONT WANT TO PLAY AGAINST PROFESSIONALS

I am an amateur musician playing in an amateurs hobby and would like to
compete fairly against like minded people (90% of the top section)

Surely we should legislate against professionals in our amateur hobby  or
maybe we need a breakaway organisation, with bands committing to the cause
of not paying contestants ?

SPONSORSHIP

As far as I am concerned, there can only be one reason why a self-sufficient
organisation such as a brass band requires lots of extra money and that is
to pay players- IMHO to cheat.

It is time to decide where we want our future to be  I would like to see a
new section bought in to brass band area competitions, to run along side the
Championship section  a section for unsponsored bands or bands committed
not to paying players, still with promotion and relegation, but where bands
can compete on a level playing field.

Let the big boys fight it out to show whos got the most cash (and smallest
p*n*s) and leave us to a civilised competition.