Paid Soloists - Historical Perspective

Observing some recent prattle on paid players prompted me to dig out an
old copy of "The British Empire Band Journal"  from August 1935 (front
cover has a picture of the Worlds Biggest Brass Band - 2,000 players at
the Jubilee Festival Brass Band Concert, at Belle Vue, Manchester).
Thought this may be of interest;

"Paid Soloists.  Will the professional element in the brass band world
ever be as pronounced as it is in the football world?  Will soloists
ever be able to claim similar retaining fees and possess a market value
similar to the ones possessed by a good football 'soloist'.  This is not
a ridiculous idea; it may come, and before may years pass.......Bandsmen
now skip about from one band to another like grass-hoppers....so that
really there is not much difference between a professional player in a
band and a professional player in football."

The editorial goes on for a few more lines.  To spare space I won't add
the rest - though any who wish the total editorial can contact me
directly and I'll gladly send.

You get the idea.... 65 years later...we still have not resolved....nor
are likely to!

Robin McCubbin
Weston Silver Band
Canada