Re: Burton on Trent

on 6/3/00 11:44 am, jeremy wise at jeremy.wise@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Let's have some verdicts on Burton as an Area venue...
> Acoustic - was reported to be boomy - not at all so with an audience in. Not
> bad overall - better than Nottingham.

Acoustic certainly was better with an audience in (and the stage extension),
but still problematic - you only had to sit through a few of the first or
third section bands to hear clear evidence that they were struggling to keep
together in the simplest of passages. And even with the audience in, you
still couldn't hear definition in the cornets from where the adjudicator was
sitting.

> Seats - very hard and uncomfortable. Also cramped if you are not Posh Spice.
> Facilities - limited and entrance area very cramped - good job it wasn't
> raining.
> Beer tent - only exceeded in ghastliness by the portakabin loos outside.
> Parking - no problems.

The seats were indeed tiny, as was the beer tent, meaning that a lot of the
atmosphere that surrounded Nottingham was lost.  However this point was not
missed by members of the committee I spoke to, who indicated that they would
push for a bigger marquee next year (apparently it was a bit of a departure
for the town hall to agree to it anyway).  We also suggested a kebab van ;-)

The trade stands appear to have suffered badly from the split-sites and the
backroom location.  We spent our winnings on music at Studio Music, and were
pretty much the only order they'd had all weekend apparently.

Parking was first rate, as was the organisation - you couldn't wish for a
more helpful team of organisers. The Chamber of Commerce appear to have been
particularly helpful to the committee (Peter Merrick sorted out the double
booking of our rehearsal room with superb efficiency and sensitivity) and
congratulations should be extended to all who made it such a smoothly-run
event.

Whilst I remain unconvinced about the hall - I have to agree the weekend was
much more successful as an event than previous year's.

Cheers
Mac

--
Colin McDonald
Musical Director - Warwick University Brass Band