Re: David vs Goliath

This is my first contribution to the list although i've been reading the
goings-on for some time. Having played with a championship section band for
several years I know what it's like to get obsessed
with contesting.  I admit that I enjoy contesting as there is nothing like
that winning feeling, but away from brass bands I preach about music being
made/played for the love of it.  It is a constant inner battle I have with
myself as, if I was to practice what I preach, I would have given up
contesting a long time ago.  I have toyed with the idea of joining a
non-contesting band but to be honest the idea of not contesting just doesn't
appeal.  Does anybody in a non-contesting band on this list have any
opinions on this as I would like to know if somebody was (or is) in a
similar position with their banding.

Getting back to the point in hand, I think that the buying in of players is
not in keeping with the spirit of banding.  You can liken it to premiership
football - the richest clubs end up with the trophies (more often than not).
  Keep brass bands real, thats what I say.

Tom