Re: Lip misery!

on 6/3/00 9:20 pm, Bill Walker at Walker@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I haven't been able to play for a weeh due to another cold type sore on
> my lower lip.
> Zovirax will not help except to make it bleed.
> Alcohol (used externally) seems to be helping.
> I have wondered about this situation for a long time and I may be
> grasping at straws but is it possible toothpaste is causing my problem?
> BillW

Interestingly, while playing with a band last year, I was suffering from a
continuous series of mouth ulcers of unusual size and duration which
eventually made the whole business of playing so painful and depressing that
I took a break from the whole business for 6 months.

In the meantime, I found out that it WAS my toothpaste that was causing
them. Specifically it was a chemical detergent in the toothpaste called
Sodium Lauryl Sulphate, which is present in many toothpastes to a varying
degree.  This detergent is a modern addition designed to assist in whitening
the teeth (even in products not marketed as 'whiteners').

I changed to Mclean's Sensitive and have not had any problems for months
now.

Further discussions of this problem can be found at
http://saveyoursmile.com/cankersores/dzcankersores6.html

There's plenty more info on the web if you search for it.

Hope things clear up for you

Cheers
Mac

--
Colin McDonald
Musical Director - Warwick University Brass Band