Re: David vs Goliath

Rob wrote:

>Surely we should legislate against professionals in our amateur hobby  or
>maybe we need a breakaway organisation, with bands committing to the cause
>of not paying contestants ?

I have this feeling of deja vu! Are we talking about professional in terms
of performance standard or in terms of their financial status? Not always
the same!

>SPONSORSHIP
>
>As far as I am concerned, there can only be one reason why a
self-sufficient
>organisation such as a brass band requires lots of extra money and that is
>to pay players- IMHO to cheat.

Sorry, but that's one hell of a generalisation!
I am the vice president of a sponsored band - the amount of money we are
talking about here covers the cost of rehearsal facilities, the cost of
conductors (both regular and the guests the band can now afford), instrument
insurance etc etc etc. There are less and less paid gigs around - the
traditional council bandstand jobs are not as available as they used to be
and the money is poor.

>Let the big boys fight it out to show whos got the most cash (and smallest
>p*n*s) and leave us to a civilised competition.

With this statement, I'm afraid you lost it!

Andy