Re: Lip misery!

I've seen a lot of discussion on the topic of cold sores
and other lip ailments (which is natural, considering that
we all need our lips to be free of sores in order to
play brass instruments), but I'm not sure I've seen anyone
mention my favorite treatment, which is an amino acid
called l-Lysine.

As I understand the physiological basis for cold sores, it
all started when you were a child and contracted chicken
pox.  And everyone gets chicken pox, right?  There is no
vaccination and the human race has not developed an immunity
to the disease yet.  Anyway, once you had chicken pox, you
have a lingering strain of Herpes Simplex B in your body
that will never go away.  Now, this is not the same thing
as Herpes Simplex A, which is now a moderately-tolerated
social disease, but still makes it uncomfortable for you
to find a partner.  Simplex B is just diluted chicken-pox,
leftover, and it causes cold sores on the lips and at the
corners of the mouth, especially when you are under stress
or fighting some other illness (like a cold or flu) and
your body's immune system is at a low ebb.  Sometimes
being out in the sun too much will also bring the sore
to the surface (that why skiers get them sometime, even
when they aren't stressed or sick).

Enter l-Lysine -- it's an amino acid, freely available in
tablet form at any drug store or pharmacy (at least here in
the US), and it attacks the proteins that live in the cold
sore, once you have one.  It can also be taken as a
preventative, so you don't get them.  For optimum effect,
it should be taken on an empty stomach.  It has absolutely no
negative side effects; it doesn't even upset your stomach.

I have been taking an l-Lysine tablet, first thing every
morning before I get in the shower, for the last several
years and I never get cold sores.  If I'm feeling sick and
start to feel that little sting warning me that a cold sore
is trying to form, I just take an extra tablet for a day
or two.  I may still get the cold or flu, but the cold sore
doesn't have a fighting chance!  I don't know how it would
work with sores that aren't related to the chicken pox or
Herpes Simplex B virus, but I've seen it help time and time
again with people who are sprouting the "garden variety"
cold sore.  Try it!

Regards,

Connie Varner
Triangle Brass Band