David vs. Goliath

I have a great deal of sympathy with Rob Mason's comments, not least
because I too play with a completely unsponsored village band with a 100
or so years of history behind it. We too recently "made it" to the
Championship Section only to make a swift return to the First Section.
However I personally enjoyed the challenge of playing against the top
bands (albeit with little success), and the band always accepted that we
would soon return to our previous level.
Perhaps we should accept that the Championship Section is a place for
semi-professional players, and that the real amateur spirit of banding
exists in the First Section, on a level playing field.
That having been said, even in the First Section at Burton on Trent, it
was rumoured that one of the bands that qualified for the Finals  had
employed six Army musicians to play for them. No doubt the ends justify
the means, but I would far rather play for a Band that exists as an
entity at every practice as opposed to one that gets by from week to
week with around a dozen players and just fills up for big contests and
prestigious engagements for the sponsors.
Banding to me is a social as well as a musical experience - concerts
given to an appreciative audience pay the bills and give the public
pleasure but........ I do enjoy the preparation and drama of a Contest.
Let's face it, when you do win there is nothing in the world to beat
that feeling! (unless of course any one out there knows differently!)