Re: Good-Bye

David Williams writes:
>Sorry...but I think the banding "movement" in this country has
> become too self-indulgent...and in some cases very greedy.

I'm glad you said "this country" David (if you're still listening).

At last years nationals, we had just finished the street march and were boarding
the bus to rush off for a quick lunch, then a rehearshal for our performance
later that afternoon.  Not much spare time obviously.  We were approached by a
lady whose father (now deceased) had played in brass bands during his life and
her mother was not expected to live through the night.

She asked if we might go to her house a mile or so away and play on the lawn
outside for her mother because it was also her birthday.  We didn't have any
music except the contest stuff with us, but off we went and played for about 20
minutes( obviously not the test or own choice), finishing with an improvised
Happy Birthday.  Apparently she was past speaking but smiled when she heard the
band playing. It didn't do our rehearshal schedule any good but it was worth the
interruption.

We came second overall, but playing for her that day was just as gratifying to
the band members.

Roy, principal euph, Dandenong Band, Melbourne, Australia.

Roy Taylor			rtaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Quest Software		 www.quest.com
2/293 Camberwell Rd	phone   (03)  9811 8036
Camberwell VIC 3124	fax       (03)  9811 8099
AUSTRALIA		     mobile  0418 123 690
Remember: Always be nice to other people, they out-number you 6 billion to one.