Re: It's that outing time of year...

Well and truly outed, I'd say!

Never mind, we came 18th out of 20 so kinda know what it feels to come at
the bottom of the heap. Here's a couple of comments about the venue at
Burton (2nd section) though:

Organisation - not much room in the coach park (last in, first out as no
room for the coaches to pass) for which there seemed to be some confusion
about the entrance, and a bit muddy! Did not find my way round the venue
much, partly because the sign posting wasn't obvious but also partly due to
the need for lasagne and chips before playing and partly due to not leaving
the bar afterwards! Was there more than one?!

Hall - felt very 'alone' on stage, perhaps all the drapes didn't help?
Fairly cosy. Not the worst place I'd been though.

Bar - atmosphere was good, and not overly crowded - perhaps as there was
more than one?

Comparison with Nottingham - I gather that the trade stands did very little
trade. It was also a shame that the different sections were spread over
different venues, as you couldn't go to listen to them easily and there were
generally less people around to contribute to that 'contest' atmosphere. Not
the same opportunity to catch up with old friends either - after all, I
suspect that this is one of the fundamental reasons for contesting for many;
seeing friends from other bands and sections and sharing the triumphs and
defeats with them. Otherwise I think the warmup facilities etc. were
superior to Nottingham, but that the venue still has its faults.

Anyway, looks like we'll be joining the Third section next year. At this
point I'd like to extend a big THANKYOU to the members of Staffordshire Band
who helped on our training day, and in particular to Andy Culshaw who's
direction in the build up to the contest and during our performance was
certainly inspiring. I'm sure all the members of the band feel the same, and
it's just a bit of a shame that on day the sense of occasion seemed to get
to us and a serious bout of nerves degraded (IMHO) our performance to
somewhat less than we'd been able to achieve in the bandroom. But as they
say 'that's banding'!

BTW Jud, CU at the F&B again soon? Not been much lately... Going on trip to
Germany with band this summer, so unlikely to be on Brass Course.

Thanks for listening.

Dave

Bone2, Arrow Valley Brass
MD, Arrow Valley 'B'
Having fun now with trom part for 'Fame!' - how different from LightSabre ,
Mirror 'n' Sweet 'n' Sour?
www.thd-kins.demon.co.uk