Mozambique

Sorry folks ....click that delete button quick....in case I upset you !
Firstly many many thanks to those friends who have e.mailed me privately,
and apologies to those who are annoyed at my views on the comments of recent
contests.  Maybe I over-reacted after  seeing the awful scenes on T.V. and
the suffering. At least it got some switching on their p.c.s   I just hoped
that some bands might think that if two terrified  guys  with trembling
fingers could raise a couple of hundred
pounds in 20 minutes playing duets out of children's books..."Tunes for
Two", etc. then some good players could do really well for the fund.    So
far Colin Thomas of South Wales has told me he is appealing for band folk to
help him raise cash for the fund, with Rotary International.   Best of luck
to your efforts Colin.    I would'nt expect bands to arrange concerts at
such short notice but I am sure that local shopping centres, malls, etc.
would co-operate and allow some bandsmen (even small groups) to play for a
short while at the week-end and maybe rotarians or other organisations do
the collecting.   You would probably raise thousands......and show that
brass band musicians have a heart and care.    My pal and I had a nice
letter from the President of the Rotary club thanking us and I noticed their
emblem states:   "Service above Self". !!   I note the comments from some
that this month is "very important" because of the area contests, so they
are too busy rehearsing.   To those of you who have been fortunate to have
nice new free instruments courtesy of the folk who pay their quids each week
in the forlorn hope of winning a lottery fortune.....I would appeal to you
to put them to some good use....(and still do your contesting). Why stop at
the Mosambique appeal ?
Finally.....I do believe that bands in other lands seem to do  much more for
their communities than we do in this country.   Why is this ?   O.K....you
can click that delete thing now.    Best wishes to ALL !    David.   (Here
endeth the sermon Bill Walker....have you tried Arnica cream for the sore
chops ? )