Professional Players/Contesting

===========
I have no objection to professional musicians (e.g. teachers, performers,
RAF bandsmen, etc.) competing in brass band contests. After all, I would
hate to think that I would be unable to play in a brass band if I were ever
to pursue a career in music.

However, I do object to players (professional musicians or not) being paid
to play in a contest. Do these players not enjoy contests sufficiently to
participate without being paid? If that is the case, they should not be
contesting at all. One of the most important aspects of contesting (and, of
course, banding in general) is building up a team spirit. If players are
draughted in mere days before a contest, such a team spirit cannot possibly
develop.

It follows that if bands win contests by bringing in players at the last
minute, they are reducing contesting to competition for competition's sake,
as the material benefits of winning (prize money, glory, celebrity, ranking
points) take precedence over the true benefits (musical amelioration, social
cohesion, a day out at the Albert Hall etc.).

Reading an article in last week's BB about a well known euphonium player
joining a prominent Scottish "Band" (in inverted commas), I was inclined to
think "Are there no euphonium players in Glasgow"?

Cameron Mabon