Re: Question of the Day

Hi Carol. Good question! Thanks for asking.

My "most gratifying engagement" would probably be a series of performances we
did for an audience of two. Longtime conductor, composer and educator Newell
Long lived in my town for many years. I met him for the first time during the
1996 holiday season, when a subset of our band went to his house to serenade
him and his wife. We continued to visit and play for Newell on his birthday and
once during the Christmas season each year. Sometimes he'd conduct along with
us from his wheelchair, and his wife always gave us tea or lemonade and
cookies. When he passed away this January (at age 94), we had the satisfaction
of knowing that we'd made him happy, at least for a little while, and had paid
him back in a small way for his many years of hard work.

=====
Donna M. Lafferty
1st Trombone
Bloomington Brass Band