RE: David vs Goliath

Tom / Cameron

I humbly apologise for the offense Fiona and I caused last night -- we
were totally out of order. We were in a drunken
let off steam mode, and unfortunately the "reading" of your e-mails
triggered us off. I say 'reading', because as you will no doubt agree we
didn't consider your arguments in any way.

Having re-read them, I have a lot of sympathy with what you said, and
agree that whilst contesting puts increasing demands on bandsmen and
women, it is a key driver to improve the band. However, I personally am
not against bands who wish to buy-in players -- that is up to them. In
our own band we have a policy not to do this which I firmly support, my
view is that we go on stage with a full band that attends all rehearsals
and all functions and sometimes we win against those who are bumped up
on the day by 'ringers'. This gives us satisfaction, but for me
satisfaction comes primarily from whether the effort put in during
rehearsals comes to fruition on the day in a performance -- regardless
of 'who beat who'. So on Sunday for me it will be whether or not the
xylo solo in enigma flows smoothly.

Apologies again,
Dave Hogg