Re: Professional Players/Contesting

Re Jane Baillie's reply to Tricky, I don't think the Band has been sponsored
in Tricky's time with us, and if it was it wasn't for long.Even when we were
sponsored, we never got much (four figures, not five or six like some).
Sponsorship never  made up much more than a quarter of our turnover, most of
which was and still is made up of subs, levy's, fundraising, engagement fees
etc. The sponsorship was a welcome contribution while it lasted, but it never
made the Band well off. Players didn't (and don't) get expenses, never mind
retainers. They still had to pay to pay to play. Given that we qualify for
more 'Opens', 'Nationals', 'Europeans' etc than most, and given that we have
further to travel to these contests than most our costs are higher than most.
If Dalmellington struggle to fund the occasional trip south every few years,
look at the costs incurred and think about raising that twice, three times or
even four times in some years as we have to do. Even with a sponsorship it
was tough and without it it is even tougher.   So please Jane get your facts
right before you criticise.

Colin McHardy
Timpani and Treasurer, Whitburn