Ystrad band's first ever adjudication

    Test piece : The Rose of Castille
    Not clean at opening : tongues want smartening up very much. From A
bass
    and horns were very bad at tongueing.
    A tempo : Soprano had a nasty accident, which did not encourage him
very
    much I am sure.
    Andante sostenuto : Horns badly out of tune, bass very much across
at
    bar 8. Horns are very poor from D on. Cornet does well, but is badly
    supported by band.
    Allegro giusto is very moderate. Band is evidently very young at
    contesting. The rall. bar after G was badly across. I don=92t think
you
    could have done it worse if you had tried to.
    Andante : Trombone sounds very nervous, everthing is too stiff and
    formal, no life in it.
    Allegro : Far too slow and only moderate. Euphonium cadenza very
nicely
    done.
    Allegretto moderato : Tenor horn was late at starting. I suppose he
    thought it did not matter much, he came on later.
    Moderato : This was fair, and it was phrased properly : the first
band
    to do it. I compliment you. Cornet cadenza a good show. Allegro too
    slow.
    Lento : Those horns are badly out of tune, Mr. Conductor.
    Andante : Fair. Soprano made a moderate attempt, many wrong notes,
    though. Cornet was very uncomfortable from S to T. From bar 26 to
end of
    movement baritones, trombones and basses were terribly across, so
you
    can imagine what it sounded like. That could be vastly improved by
    taking each section separately.
    Allegro moderato : Euphonium solo was nicely given, but the
    accompaniments were very scattered.
    Finish of selection was very poor, the semiquaver runs being very
    indistinct.

    As I said before, evidently not up to contesting form. But plod on.
Nil
    desperandum.

    Marks 92 (out of 150)