FW: contest day cock-ups

Hello all

I remember playing at the Leicester (De Montfort Hall) contest with
Brodsworth many years ago. November 1980 i think.

The test piece was Force of Destiny. We got to Leicester on time, no
problem
but the coach pulled on to the grass in front of the hall...and sank in
the
mud......we spent 3 hours digging it out, went on stage in muddied up
uniforms.

The sop player (Chris Groom) "son of the famous" and one of the third
cornet
players (Dinger Bell) got beat up in Doncaster the night before. Dinger
had
his teeth knocked out and groomy had black eyes, bent nose, ears missing,
you know the usual.

The Flugel player (Mick Ellwood) had had an accident at work two days
before
and had a collar round his neck.

Solo Horn player (David Horn) felt ill on the way down and promptly threw
up
on stage.

And to cap it all, during the registration process there was a problem
with
the 1st Baritone players (Brian Allwood) card, they wouldn't let him
play,
so we went on stage without him, looking like alexanders ragtime band no
doubt.

Then bugger me with a pointy thing......WE STILL WON IT !!!

Andy Lincoln.
Tuba English Brass Quintet
Soon to be www.chopper.force9.co.uk but not quite ready