Re: Chewing

Watching a percussionist in a top grade band at the Australian Nationals in
Melbourne at Easter 1998, I noticed that he chewed constantly while he was
actually playing his part (but only while he was actually playing). To me it
seemed to be a variation on tapping the foot to keep in time ( another pet
hate!!!!!). To my way of thinking it is a lot simpler just to watch the
conductor.

Incidentally, following another recent thread on the list, the same band was
disqualified for using an imported tenor horn player whose registration did
not satisfy all the rules. To those who are very much against the use of
professionals, imports, permits, ring-ins or whatever, I personally think
that the rules should only allow a band to use players registered with the
band. That way we can at least say truthfully that it was our band.
Unfortunately not everyone is available every time and our band could have
saved the 15,000 AUD it is costing to get to Launceston for this year's
Nationals.

Lindsay Price, solo horn & treasurer, City of Greater Dandenong Band,
Melbounre, Australia.

P.S. Sponsorship is something we can only dream about in this country and as
for a grant from the lottery, "Get real!"