RE: Chewing

>From: "Tim Sawyer" <Tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: Chewing
>Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 12:44:53 -0000
>Lindsay
>said:
> > Watching a percussionist in a top grade band at the Australian
> > Nationals in
> > Melbourne at Easter 1998, I noticed that he chewed constantly
> > while he was
> > actually playing his part (but only y while he was actually
> > playing). To me it
> > seemed to be a variation on tapping the foot to keep in time
>
> > another pet
> > hate!!!!!). To my way of thinking it is a lot simpler just to watch the
> > conductor.
>
>It's not always possible for a percussionist to watch the conductor.  It's
>often more important to watch what your sticks are hitting and to keep in
>time by listening...
>
>Tim Sawyer
>Percussion
>Rothwell Temperance Band
>http://www.rtb.org.uk

I may play tenor horn these days, but at the '98 Nationals I was playing
timpani (test piece "Isaiah 40", Robert Redhead). This means I have had the
best of both worlds. I have always found it necessary to watch the conductor
like a hawk, rather than what I am hitting. Rather, I would place what I am
going to hit in a position where I could still keep one eye on the conductor
(is this why we have so many cross-eyed percussionists?). I have found that
the brass players are more likely to be the ones keeping in time by
listening to the percussionists, another grave mistake, as both brass and
percussion should be listening to each other and watching the conductor.

Regards Lindsay.