RE: Chewing

Lindsay said:

> I may play tenor horn these days, but at the '98 Nationals I was playing
> timpani (test piece "Isaiah 40", Robert Redhead). This means I
> have had the
> best of both worlds. I have always found it necessary to watch
> the conductor
> like a hawk, rather than what I am hitting. Rather, I would place
> what I am
> going to hit in a position where I could still keep one eye on
> the conductor
> (is this why we have so many cross-eyed percussionists?). I have
> found that
> the brass players are more likely to be the ones keeping in time by
> listening to the percussionists, another grave mistake, as both brass and
> percussion should be listening to each other and watching the conductor.

Timps are easy, they're big and you can't miss them.

On the other hand, xylophone keys are not very wide (especially when you
have to use the one provided on stage and it's different to the one in the
bandroom), and the same thing applies to other similar instruments - glock,
temple blocks etc etc...

I was referring to instruments where it's easy to miss...

Tim Sawyer
Percussion
Rothwell Temperance Band
http://www.rtb.org.uk