RE: 'Alpine Echoes'

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Stephen Tighe wrote:

> This solo is available via Just Music. See latest BB for their e-mail
> address.

Thanks - I've forwarded this on to her.

> By the way I am studying compsition with a lady who was taught by Basil
> Windsor who used to teach theory at the Manchester School of Music. As a
> matter of interest, he used to arrange Harry Mortimers solos. (Hence Alpine
> Echo's).
>
> By the way, some of us ANGLO's do know who David Of The White Rock was, the
> song having been written by John Ovenford ( an enhlishman). What's the
> connection?

Well, speaking as an ANGLO also, there isn't a huge connection beyond the
David-Dafydd thing. It's just a lovely song in a lovely language.
I thought it was actually written by a bard of the same name though (early
18th century was what I'd read), whereas John Oxenford was 19th
century (I think).  If it was him, then it's certainly a cut above the
rest of his output that I've seen; it all tends to be a bit slushy and
Victorian for my taste.

Dave Taylor