NW Area results IMHO

I heard all 11 performances of Enigma.  There were only two
performances of excellent standard, Fodens and Faireys.
Overall I thought Fodens performed the best.  Basses were
excellent, massive sound and all expertly played their solos.
Euph was superb.  I felt marimba was loud in comparison
tho the other 10 performances, however this obviously
proved to be correct.

Faireys performance was also excellent.  Cornets were
outstanding, flugel alright, (Joking Neil!!!! Excellent).  A pity
Davey Thornton had a little bit of a bad day on euph.
Tempos I thought were a little quicker than every one elses
and a little detail was lost.  I do feel there should have been
a greater points diferrence between 2nd and 3rd.  One point
was not enough!!

I was impressed with BT, excellent euph again!!.  I think
they were a little unlucky in 4th prize, I had them 3rd with
Leyland 4th.  Wingates played alright and deserved 5th in
my opinion.  I was disappointed in two bands, Marple and
Besses.  Marple had an unfortunate draw, started off well
but lost direction, I had them 7th.  Besses's sop was good,
the rest of the band had a not such a good day.

The only result I was a little out with was Stalybridge, I had
them 6th.  I did place Ashton 11th with Roberts Bakery 10th.
I was surprised at Freckleton, they played a lot better than I
expected, but not to the standard to trouble the top 6
My overall results were:
Fodens 198
Faireys 197
BT 195
Leyland 194
Wingates 191
Stalybridge 189
Marple 188
Besses 187
Freckleton 186
Roberts Bakery 185
Ashton 184
I had a good day, I enjoyed these 11 performances in
Blackpool more than I heard 10 performances in Bradford.
I do think the bands that qualified in Yorkshire, Grimey and
YBS deserve to be there in London, Fodens and Faieys yes,
little unlucky BT.

Dave McKay - Ever Ready Eb Bass Extraordinaire