Lurking

Thanks Nanette for your post and glad you had a good trip to Canada and for
the info. on the oil.   I am  still just "lurking"....sort of eavesdropping
in the hope of seeing something interesting  or maybe being able to offer
some youngish "old duffer's" assistance to any lister.  I am still hoping to
see some ideas from someone interested in improving the popularity of bands
here in the U.K.   Although we have some of the best in the world in all
sections I fear the public and all parts of the media don't recognise this.
Newspapers don't even cover the major contests, popular radio programmes
rarely play a brass or military band, and T.V. just ignores our music.
Every day there are now programmes on gardening, home improvements, pets,
d.i.y.......you name it....but very little on music (except very arty
programmes).   On the many satellite and digital channels ancient programmes
of years ago are repeated day after day....but none of the BBC  TV
recordings of programmes of bands from the 80s.(they have probably "wiped"
the tapes to re-use them !).  Weary of hearing some dreary depressing music
on a commercial radio channel I once asked them why they don't play brass
music now and again...and they replied that it is their policy which they
don't intend to change.  It is only  brave bands now that  will hire and
promote their own concerts...for they know that it is probably only family
and friends that will turn up. Only this week a choir treasurer  told me his
choir and band concert recently "lost" over 500 with the venue (a leisure
centre ) costing 650 to hire.   Consequently...there are not many bands
that can be self-supporting....not even the best in the country !    As a
result it is my theory that bands have turned more to the contest field for
their hobby.   Whether this is a good thing is for wiser folk to decide.   I
have even tried to get a large local college in my area to start evening
classes for brass but they will not.   I suppose they "look down" snobbishly
on brass band music...and their full-time students in a nice 2.5 million
media centre only do keyboard and guitar studies.
Yet there must be hundreds of young folk who have received brass, woodwind
and strings tuition from peripatetic teachers in primary and secondary
schools.   I know....because not a week goes by without meeting some who
says...."I used to play trumpet, cornet,clarinet..etc...etc. at school".
What a waste of time, talent and money !    Makes me despair.....and blow
treble forte on my flugel !!!!
Best wishes and keep on singing too !     David.