Re: Lurking

David, I can understand your impatience with TV and Radio not playing brass band
music.  As you know, since we talked of this before, I grew up in a musical
family.  We didn't have a TV because my parents felt that by not having one it
would promote books and music.  It did, obviously.  At the time I felt
underprivileged, but realize now as an adult that it was a strong and good
decision on their part.
Some suggestions about your promoting your music:
In our small community, we have made it a point to invite many concert,
orchestra and jazz and brass groups to our school system to promote all types of
music.  A nominal fee is charged. [a buck or two] and we have standing room only
in an auditorium that holds  1000 people!  It has been a wonderful experience
for the people of our area who never had the opportunity to see bands such as
these.  My husband is town supervisor and is planning on building a gazebo for
our community band to perform on.  Have you thought about playing for your local
fairs, schools, hospitals and nursing homes?   Once you are out in the community
and those people are aware of you, you won't have a weekend free.  Invite the
news and local TV to hear your concerts so that they can see first hand how you
[and Fred] are impacting the community.  From that point, just continue on to
bigger and better things until everyone is once again familiar with this
wonderful type of music.
Brass bands have missed a generation or two.  The music of today is taking a
front seat and people such as yourself can change that.
As always, I enjoy our talks and look forward to hearing from you again soon.
Nanette L. Kappus
Creator of BiNaK 495 Musical Instrument Oil

PS- To the rest of the list, promoting music is so important!  Please stress in
your schools and community that it takes many subjects to make a well rounded
child.  Lets try to fight the trend to drop music from the curriculum.