Veterans and geriatrics

Dave Williams - There is hope for the vets and geri brigade!

I was working in Portland (Vic., Oz) last week (7 hours drive west of here)
and took along a horn so I could keep the chops in and had a blow with the
local band. A typical country band, full of welcome and cheer, no bitching,
family orientated and spend just about all of their time doing community
blows and very little on contests. They spent the night rehearsing the
program they were going to play at a community fete on the Saturday. The age
groups came in three ranges - the younguns 7 - 15, the mid range  21 - 35
and the vets. The bloke playing rep next to me was 79 - sure he was
breathing hard and some notes didn't last the distance but the spirit and
enjoyment was there and he was passing on a bit of wisdom to the younguns.
They have about 6 players who won't see 70 again so it looks like there's
hope for us yet. They even came up with a march I hadn't seen before -
called "Kangaroo" - written by some bloke in the UK many years ago and
dedicated to the Oz brass bands. Sure hopped along. (sorry about that.)

Got back Sat to do a gig with our crew at the local retirement village. The
locals thoroughly enjoyed it. "Nessum Dorma" brought them to their feet
(needed an oxy viva after it) but then they were of the age that recognised
the number.

Sunday - a cricket match with Sale (next band down the line - 1 hour away).
A group honk for an hour or so on various bits out of both repertoires,
lunch and then the Test Match. Greg Chappell even made an appearance with a
few underarms to see if there were any Kiwis around. We got done but I still
reckon it was the umps fault.

Sure beats rehearsing Page Nine Variations every night for 6 weeks.

Keep honkin'.

TiBaR (:- )}
Bairnsdale or the Bush