Re: Lurking

As a parent of a brass player rather than a player, it is interesting to
observe the flavour of the correspondence on 'Luking'. The following 4 points
are offered on a similar theme from a customer perspective!

(1) Please think of the audience - my life has been enriched by listening to
quality youth brass music with Hampshire County Youth Band and other quality
bands at events such as Music for Youth. This in turn has led me to listen to
adult bands which my son wished to hear either live or on CD.
(2) Much of the ranking of players comes from the players themselves rather
than the observer. Certainly there seemed to be an acceptance amongst several
students that the Orchestra players were superior to the band members.
However all of the groups whatever their label have brought pure joy to those
of us who have heard the performances.
(3) Perhaps the most important feature of all is that young people who are on
performance courses have to learn where they will earn money in the future.
It appears that the reality is the orchestras are the main source. There must
therefore inevitably be a strong pressure on all players who want a career in
music to develop the skills necessary for orchestral work and become
associated with orchestral players.
(4) Perhaps those of you who play should focus more on the real challenge,
not those you meet in competitions, but a vast group of people who make up
the public who have never heard you play! If my son had not become a brass
player, through school, I would have no love or interest in the movement. You
have the opportunity to create similar interest in others. The difficulty is
working out how to create the links.
Mike