RE: When To Start Playing Sop?

Why play high? Because it's there like Mount Everest.
He is young but seems to have instantly progressed to
the pinnacle of banding, Soprano Cornet.;-}
Seriously. I have heard of young Sop players
that have done well. A former member of our band
Jim Ruddock was playing with the Agnes Street Band
on Sop at age 11 and contesting.
There would be a danger with a young player
who could not really play in the register to develop a
forced high range. In any case he should not play
Soprano exclusively. He should do most of his practice
on Bb. The warm up is important. He can force out
high notes at the beginning of a session until
he pounds his chops into the ground.
But this could lead to real damage to the lips.

No harm to let him try the instrument under controlled circumstances.
I am sure a youth band were the repertoire is carefully chosen
would be a workable situation. Perhaps letting him
play sop as a reward (???) for completing his
Bb practice.

Graham Young
gyoung@xxxxxxxx
Symphony Hamilton