Re: Veterans and geriatrics

Hi Rod.   Please let us all know what is this wonderful elixir you are
taking to give you such stamina  !   After reading of your exploits I was
too tired to have a blow.   Great stuff mate whatever it is....maybe an
amber liquid ?    While I am on this thing...greetings to Donna (our lass
from Indiana) who made some very interesting observations, and also Mike who
posed some good points about making links from the band world to others
Here goes.   Firstly....most bands (here in the U.K.) have no idea about
P.R....resulting in no interest from the media, or broadcasters.   Secondly,
(as preached before) only family and friends will come to listen to an
average band....unless at a gala, fete,etc.   So my idea would be take the
music TO the public (like my pal and I do).   I would try to encourage small
groups...within the band....maybe older members offering to go to homes for
the elderly, retirement groups,   etc.    Younger players might visit local
schools (particularly special schools) .  Most local council authorities now
have voluntary service groups that would welcome a contact with a band.   I
also think some local churches would welcome an occasional visit from some
players to play at special services.....even a few brass instruments can
make a glorious sound in a church !    Might even swell their declining
congregations.   When I was last in a band our biggest...and most
enthusiastic audiences were on regular Sunday evening community hymn singing
events.   I'll bet even these days something on the style of the BBC "Songs
of Praise" would be very popular.   Top soloists of a band could take part
in local concerts, etc. Our band's youngsters used to take part in shows
like "The Music Man" too,....and that was nearly 30 years ago !!
I suppose someone on the list will say...."hey mate we do all this now".
But we seem to hear very little about bands' other activities on this
list....apart from comments and results of contests.   I am sure everyone
would like to hear other ideas too.    Believe me...there are still  lots of
folk out there who like band music but rarely here it these days.  Best
wishes to all.    Dave.