Re: L & S C Areas

Rod,

I second the congrats to John Underwood for his good work in publishing the
results from the relevant sections - as they happened almost! - he must have
been working hard on his computer the minute he got off stage!

I agree that it's not fair on a lot of bands when the tickets that they are
issued with only allow access to their own section - especially in a large
venue when it's possible to have more than one section playing at a time. I
was lucky enough to be in a position where it didn't matter this year as the
only section I would have had time to watch was the one that I was playing
in.

>>"The tickets, at 6 each, only allow
>entry to the section for which they were bought."

Ah - that depends. I went back on the Sunday morning to watch friends in
other bands in all the sections and I paid 6 pounds for my ticket which gave
me access to ALL the available sections - I seem to remember that it was a
little more expensive in 1999 but that was no doubt due to all the sections
playing on the same day - at least there was a little more breathing space
at the bar and around the venue this time!

I have to agree though that this is not an amazingly popular scheme - I
heard several people complaining to 'The powers that be' on both of the days
that I was there although personally I don't have a problem with it. I paid
twice to get into different sections of the Yorkshire areas earlier this
month - something which everyone else did without any problems at all.

Congratulations to all the bands in the L & SC who qualified for the finals
over the weekend (and to all the bands who did better than they thought they
would). A special word to my very first band, Amersham, who thought that
they would do well before the contest to finish in the top half of 32 bands.
They played a blinder and finished 3rd. Delerious would be an
understatement!

Regards

Alistair
Cornet