RE: L & S C Areas

Congratulations to the Dave Hobbs and the rest of the area committee (and
helpers!) for a well run weekend.

As I was not playing this year I had the chance to listen to some bands for
a change.

I agreed with Goff Richards about the two bands that will be "considered for
invitation" to the finals - Aveley & Newham and First City, although I
personally preferred First City's performance.  I thought City of Oxford
deserved to be in the first four, but was surprised that Redbridge (6th)
weren't (and so was Melvin I should think!!), and just as surprised that
Soham Comrades nipped in ahead of them in 5th - but well done anyway - maybe
Mr Biggs' energetic sop playing helped:-)

Does anyone else have any comments on the result?

Finally, I agree with previous comments regarding the Bandsmen's tickets -
even when the "favourites" were playing the hall was nowhere near full;
throughout the day there was no atmosphere.  I understand that as with so
many things this decision was governed by financial considerations but would
urge the Area Committee to look into this issue as it obviously concerns so
many.

David Cooper
KM Gillingham Band